Today, we are so excited to share our exclusive interview with KC-Makeup by Karuna Chani! Karuna Chani is an internationally recognized and accomplished make up artist and skin care consultant. She began her career in Southeast Asia creating unique makeup concepts for fashion shows, society weddings and beauty seminars. Karuna specializes in airbrush makeup application with an HD finish which is ideal for video/photography.
Most recently, Karuna was highlighted in Marie Claire – India Ed. “Big Beauty” feature for their December 2010 issue with famous photographer Anushka Menon!
In addition to her private clients and fashion industry work, Karuna has been involved with charitable events such as Sunflower Children Funds, Indo-American Arts Council, Inc. and Reach 2010 showcasing fashion designer Satya Paul’s 2011 collection.
Karuna is available to travel on location and welcomes you to view a portfolio of her work.
1. When did you start doing makeup?
I founded KC-Makeup in 2000, so just over 14 years now.
2. Can you tell us what is your signature? (brows, lips, etc.)
Clients come to me to create the perfect smoky eye. Whether it’s a traditional smoky eye with hues of blacks or grays; or a colorful one like plums or ombre copper to match the colors in their (traditional Indian outfit name), blending colors to create that sexy smoked out eye, is my specialty.
Because many clients are afraid to experiment with bold lips, I love doing a matte deep ruby or bright tomato lips on clients, to show them just how versatile they can be. Many women are afraid of lip colors, and rarely go beyond their basic nude or rose lip gloss, so I love to give them the confidence to wear just about any color!
3. What is your favorite look to create on brides?
My absolute favorite look right now is an antique gold, bronze and deep cocoa smoked out ombre eye, with a mid tone lip in rose or peach. The gold complements the natural brown hue of many of my brides skin and the deep brown smokes out the eye, to kick up the sex appeal. Black can be too harsh for many.
Because the eyes for this look are very dramatic, I like to pair it with a muted lip, so they stand out even more!
4. What services do you provide? (updo, makeup, dupetta setting, etc.)
KC-Makeup provides the following:
-Waterproof airbrush makeup with flawless finish
-Formal Hair Styling
-One on one makeup sessions
5. Finally, what is your advice to our brides to be on how to achieve radiant/glowing skin on their big day?!
To my brides that get regular acne, have blemishes, discoloration, etc; I suggest that they add a skin care consultation to their bridal trial, that way I can help them address their skin problems, far in advance to the actual wedding. Once I have diagnosed the problem(s), I can come up with a skin care regimen that will improve the appearance of their skin, and thus make for radiant/glowing skin the day of their wedding.
For those that do not have any ongoing skin problems, just to be safe, I suggest the following:
1. Drink a lot of water. Also green tea 1x a day and/or pure coconut water 1x a day.
2. Get on a regimented skincare routine morning and night.
3. Schedule facials every 4 to 6 weeks to remove dead skin and old blemishes, to bring forth new skin.
4. Make time for regular cardio workouts (3 to 4 times a week) to build blood circulation to the face, and give you a natural rosy complexion (dropping a few pounds before the wedding cant hurt anyway!).
5. Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night (Doctors orders!).